Kietaviškės, now substantially re-structured, was a township half-way between Kaunas and Vilnius, close to present-day Elektrėnai. In World War One, after the fall of the fortress of Kaunas, Kietaviškės was crossed in late August 1915 by infantry of German XXXX. Reserve-Korps.
After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918 the area was occupied, in early January 1919, by units of the Red Army which in turn were pushed out by Lithuanian troops in the second half of April 1919. During the Polish expansion motivated by Marshall Pilsudski’s vision of a greater federated Poland, in October 1919 Kietaviškės came under Polish rule. But the area was retaken by Lithuanians in July 1920 and remained on Lithuania’s side of the Demarcation Line separating Lithuania and Poland.
A postal facility (Ketovishki) seems to have been set up in czarist times, shortly before WWI , but ceased to exist during the turbulent war and post-war period. A Lithuanian post office (agentūra ?) was set up in 1921 or 1922. As yet, nothing is known about its personnel.
Earliest Lithuanian stamps available were the Sėjėjas Issue. In the absence of a regular postmarker for cancelling, the facility made use of a rectangular cachet indicating place and serial number. The dotted line for serial number served as a line for the date.
A standard calendar-type postmarker was provided in late 1922 (Fug. No. 625, RR!, not to be confused with Fug. No. 626)
Known provisional markings:
Cancelling by means of a boxed cachet :
26 / IX 22m pair, Sėjėjas 1a [colln. Doniela]