Užventis is a small town in central Žemaitija, ca. 40 km south-west of Šiauliai. In World War One, the area was first inspected by German reco units of 45th Cav. Br. (6. Kavallerie-Division) as early as end of April 1915, during the first battle of Šiauliai.
After German army’s withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, advance units of the Red Army did not get as far as Užventis, as a vanguard regiment was severely beaten back at Luokė (Lukniki) by Detachement Schlenther on February 26-27, 1919.
In czarist times, the post office at Užventis (as Uzhventy) was opened in 1909 but was closed during the German occupation. A mandate, effective as from December 1, 1919, to set up a Lithuanian post office was issued to Jurgis Klibavičius who had been the first postmaster at Plungė. He was in charge at least in 1920 as well.
The stamps available at Užventis were values from Fourth Berlin Issue, followed by the Sėjėjas Issue etc. No postmarker being available, at first stamps were pen-cancelled, indicating date and place spelled as “Užventys”. So far, no other provisional markings are known.
A standard calendar-type postmarker was supplied in 1921.
Provisional markings known:
MS cancelling showing date and place:
5 / II – 20 single, Berlin IV 30 [colln. Liesis]