Pakuonis is a township ca. 20 km south of Kaunas. In World War One it was passed through by infantry of XXXX. Reserve-Korps a few days after the fall of the Kaunas fortress on August 18, 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Pakuonis was spared further postwar clashes, as the Red Army was stopped to the east of the river Nemunas.
Pakuonis had no postal branch during the czarist period. According to Ričardas Vainora, a Lithuanian postal agency (agentūra) was opened on May 20, 1922 but no further details have become available.
For stamps, Pakuonis had Fourth Berlin Issue to start with, followed by the Sėjėjas Issue etc. In the absence of a standard postmarker, cancelling was done by manuscript, reading probably “Pakuonio pašto agentūra” followed by date.
Probably some months later, cancelling by MS was replaced by using a double-frame boxed cachet sometimes accompanied by hand-written date. Cancelling by boxed cachet continued for some time into the Litas period.
No other provisional markings have been noted. Later, year not known, Pakuonis obtained a regular calendar-type postmarker.
Known provisional markings:
Cancelling by MS:
14 / 6  single, Sėjėjas 2 a. [colln. V. Jurkša]
Cancelling by boxed cachet:
15 / 8 – 22 block x4, Berlin IV 3a [colln. Doniela]
No date block x4, Berlin IV 3a [formerly Matuzas]
No date 2 singles, 1 Lt / 100a [coll. Lapas]
No date single. 1 Lt / 100a [formerly Norton]