Garliava lies several km south of Kaunas but eventually came to be regarded as part of the metropolitan area. In World War One it was involved in the battle for the fortress of Kaunas, which fell on August 18, 1915.
In the czarist period Garliava had its separate post office named Godlevo, and during the German occupation it came within the purview of the Postgebiet Ob.-Ost post office Kowno.
A Lithuanian post office was opened in ca. 1922 but so far there are no further details about its status and staff. To start with, it was supplied with some values of Fourth Berlin Issue but its main stock consisted of the Sėjėjas Issue etc.
In the absence of a formal postmarker, for cancelling Garliava made use of a double-frame boxed cachet intended for parcel cards and money orders, with date added by hand. An earlier resort to MS cancellation is possible but not recorded.
Later Garliava obtained a standard calendar-type postmarker and did not eventually become a numerical part of the Kaunas postal area.
Known provisional markings:
Cancelling by boxed cachet:
31 / V 22 pair, Berlin IV 30 [colln. Liesis]
8 / VI 22 money order, Sėjėjas 50, 2a [colln. Doniela]
Various dates, Sėjėjas various values [several collns.]