Butrimonys is a township ca. 20 km north-east of Alytus. The first P.O. there, named Butrimancy, was opened in czarist times ca. 1880. It was closed during the German occupation 1915 -1918. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of World War One, units of the Red Army (7th Rifle Regt.) came to Butrimonys in early February 1919 but were soon pushed out on February 16 by German Grenzschutz (Abteilung Heeger) assisted by Lithuanian troops.
For a few months Butrimonys was in Lithuanian hands but in July 1919 was occupied by Polish troops as part of Marshall Pilsudski’s vision of a greater, confederated Poland. Polish occupation lasted until the Russo-Polish war when Lithuanians regained Butrimonys in early July 1920. The Lines of Demarcation left Butrimonys well inside the Lithuanian side.
A Lithuanian P.O. in Butrimonys was opened in the second half of 1920 but so far no precise information is available about the context or its early staff. For stamps, the Sėjėjas Issue etc. was used. At first, cancelling was a done by crossing out by pen or red crayon before sending on to Alytus. So far, no other provisional markings have come to light.
A standard dated postmark was provided ca. 1921 if not earlier, with the spelling BUTRIMONIAI but later the name was changed to BUTRIMONYS.
Cancelling by crossing:
no date, cover to Germany, Sėjėjas 2 a [colln. Bubnys]