Postal History

Recent article updates:

2014
Apr 15th, 2014 – Viekšniai[Supplement]
Mar 21, 2014 – Kazlų Rūda[MS cancel found]
Mar 21, 2014 – Žiežmariai[MS cancel found on Kaunas issue stamp]
Mar 21, 2014 – Krekenava[Supplement]
Jan 5th, 2014 – Pilviškiai[Supplement]

2013
Sep 29th, 2013 – Telšiai 1919[one-liner cancel found]
July 25th, 2013 – Raseiniai[Supplement]
June 29th, 2013 – Krakiai[new MS cancel type found]
June 29th, 2013 – Mažeikiai[one-liner cachet formed in capitals found]
June 27th, 2013 – Subačius[MS cancel found]
June 26th, 2013 – Seirijai[MS cancel found]
June 24th, 2013 – Dotnuva[Supplement]
June 24th, 2013 – Troškūnai[Complete MS cancel shown]
June 24th, 2013 – Josvainiai[Complete MS cancel shown]
May 26th, 2013 – Vainutas[Registration by "Vainuto" cachet added]
May 26th, 2013 – Židikai[Registration by a local cachet added]
May 26th, 2013 – Kupiškis[Registration by MS box added]
May 26th, 2013 – Telšiai[Supplement]
May 26th, 2013 – Kėdainiai[Supplement]
Apr 6th, 2013 – Suvalkai[Supplement]
Apr 5th, 2013 – Marijampolė["KONTORA" cachet found on Vilnius issue stamp]
Apr 5th, 2013 – Krakiai[MS cancel found]
Jan 26th, 2013 – Vilkaviškis[Supplement]
Jan 26th, 2013 – Pilviškiai[Supplement]

2012
Sep 15th, 2012 – Taujėnai[Supplement]
Sep 12th, 2012 – Kelmė[MS cancel w/ a violet circular seal found]
May 28th, 2012 – Pagiriai[Supplement]
May 5th, 2012 – Pakuonis[MS cancel found]
May 5th, 2012 – Marijampolė["KONTORA" cachet found on Kaunas issue stamp]
Mar 3, 2012 – Lydavėnai[Supplement]
Feb 27th, 2012 – Šakiai[Supplement]
Feb 23rd, 2012 – Pagiriai[New one-liner with date in MS found]
Feb 8th, 2012 – Lydavėnai[Registration by MS box found]
Feb 1st, 2012 – Žeimelis[Supplement]
Jan 31st, 2012 – Kazlų Rūda[New single-liner cachet found]
Jan 31st, 2012 – Varniai[R-Cachet "Vorny" found]

2011
Nov 27th, 2011 – Vilkaviškis
Nov 6th, 2011 – Skaudvilė
Aug 22nd, 2011 – Kupiškis
July 31st, 2011 – Krekenava
July 5th, 2011 – Kalvarija
July 3rd, 2011 – Kybartai
June 26th, 2011 – Kazlų Rūda
June 26th, 2011 – Veliuona
May 16th, 2011 – Veliuona
May 12th, 2011 – Krekenava
Apr 22nd, 2011 – Seinai
Mar 31st, 2011 – Baisogala
Mar 27th, 2011 – Švėkšna
Mar 22nd, 2011 – Šakiai
Mar 21st, 2011 – Gruzdžiai
Mar 20th, 2011 – Naumiestis (Šakių)

2010
Dec 23rd, 2010 – Veiveriai
Dec 12th, 2010 – Viekšniai
Dec 11th, 2010 – Laižuva
Dec 6th, 2010 – Raseiniai
Dec 6th, 2010 – Vainutas
Dec 5th, 2010 – Kretinga
Dec 5th, 2010 – Virbalis
Dec 1st, 2010 – Naumiestis (Taur.)
Nov 30th, 2010 – Vilnius – the one-liner “Wilna”
Nov 18th, 2010 – Nemunėlio (Naujas) Radviliškis
Nov 18th, 2010 – Batakiai
Nov 18th, 2010 – Baisogala
Nov 12th, 2010 – Kelmė
Nov 11th, 2010 – Seda
Nov 11th, 2010 – Kaltinėnai
Nov 10th, 2010 – Raseiniai
Nov 10th, 2010 – Kražiai
Nov 9th, 2010 – Gargždai
Nov 9th, 2010 – Varniai
Nov 3rd, 2010 – Marijampolė
Sep 25th, 2010 – Rokiškis
Sep 23rd, 2010 – Ariogala
Aug 8th, 2010 – Vilnius: the one-liner “Wilna”
Aug 4th, 2010 – Rietavas
Jul 27th, 2010 – Tauragė
Jun 12th, 2010 – Utena
May 24th, 2010 – Linkuva
May 23rd, 2010 – Lūšė

  Options   
  • Articles:memel-klaipeda  (3)
    • The Memel - Klaipėda Territory: Historical background 
      by Audrius Brazdeikis|June 20th, 2014

      The original Scalovian and Curonian territory was conquered the German Order of Teutonic Knights who built the Memel Castle (Memelburg) in 1252. Its main purpose was to strengthen their own control of the area during the period of the Prussian Crusade against the Baltic tribes. The town which grew around it was also named Memel. The Memel soon became the base for attacks into Samogitia and…

    • Stamps of the Memel - Klaipėda Territory 
      by Audrius Brazdeikis|June 20th, 2014

      The Memel - Klaipėda Territory, spanning an area roughly the size of Luxemburg has a somewhat complicated philatelic history. After WWI, Memel was one of the occupied areas in Europe to come under the administration of France. French and German stamps were overprinted specifically for use in the area. Lithuanian revolt, which took place in January 1923 abruptly ended Allied rule. New administrati…

    • Post Offices in the Memel – Klaipėda Territory 
      by Audrius Brazdeikis|June 20th, 2014

      (work in progress) List of names of postal towns and localities in the Memel - Klaipėda territory (1920-1925) 1. Aglohnen (de) - Aglonėnai (lt) 35. Motzischken (de) - Mociškiai (lt) 2. Bajohren (de) - Bajorai (lt) …

  • Articles:postal history  (144)
    • Šilinė 
      by Vytautas Doniela|April 15th, 2014

      Šilinė is a locality south east of Tauragė, better known as a wide-spread Šilinės miškas (Forest of Šilinė). A Lithuanian postal facility with access to telegraph was established in probably the Ranger's office. Apart from an unclear reference to a place called Borkai, no further details are available. A mandate to set up a postal facility there was issued by Pašto Valdyba on…

    • Butrimonys (Butrimoniai) 1919 - 1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 24th, 2014

      Butrimonys is a township ca. 20 km north-east of Alytus. The first P.O. there, named Butrimancy, was opened in czarist times ca. 1880. It was closed during the German occupation 1915 -1918. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of World War One, units of the Red Army (7th Rifle Regt.) came to Butrimonys in early February 1919 but were soon pushed out on February 16 by German…

    • Kazlų Rūda 1919-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 21st, 2014

      Kazlų Rūda is a township and a railway junction ca. 35 km south-west of Kaunas. In World War One, Kazlų Rūda was taken by German infantry during their preparations to storm the fortress of Kaunas, which fell on August 18, 1915. Kazlų Rūda was the rail section where, starting on August 7, the assault on the Kaunas fortress was directed from a Command Train by the…

    • Darbėnai 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 4th, 2014

      Darbėnai is a township in western Žemaitija, 40 km north of Klaipėda. The first P.O. in Darbėnai was opened during the czarist period in ca. 1908, named Dorbiany, but was closed during the German occupation in World War One. The locality acquired some importance as a railway station when during WWI the Germans completed (on October 1, 1915) a strategic rail line linking Memel / Klaipėda and…

    • Remygala (Ramygala) 1919 - 1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 22nd, 2014

      Remygala (in the late 1920s renamed Ramygala) lies half-way between Panevėžys and Kėdainiai.  In World War One, after the second battle of Šiauliai / Schaulen, Remygala (on German maps as Remigola) was secured by units of Division Beckman on August 1, 1915. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Red Army units came to Remygala area in the first half of January 1919…

    • Laukuva 1919 - 1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 14th, 2014

      Laukuva is a township in central Žemaitija, 17 km north of Šilalė. Its first post office was opened in czarist times as Lovkovo, on May 10 (22), 1899. In 1914 it was included in the telegraphic network. During First World War, when the German army advanced into Žemaitija and Courland on April 27, 1915, Laukuva was passed through the following day at 1 pm by squadrons of Abteilung Lenski as…

    • Telšiai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 29th, 2013

      In WWI, when a German drive into Žemaitija and Courland started on April 27, 1915, Telšiai was soon, at 6 a.m. April 29, passed through by 33rd cav. brig. (6.Kavallerie-Division) and advance troops of 11th res. brig. (6. Reseve-Infantery-Division). During the German occupation a civilian post office within the Postgebiet Ob.-Ost system, named Telsze, was opened on July 1, 1916 and closed on…

    • Krakiai (later Krakės) 1919-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 29th, 2013

      Krakiai, ca. 1926 renamed Krakės, is a township 18 km north-west of Kėdainiai. In World War one it was briefly touched by German reco cavalry (3. Kavallerie-Division) during the first battle of Šiauliai on May 6, 1915 and was secured during the second battle of Šiauliai, by 25. Kavallerie-Brigade on July 22. After the German withdrawal from the East, Krakiai was not affected by…

    • Subačius 1919-1923 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 27th, 2013

      Subačius is a town in Aukštaitija, ca. 30 km east of Panevėžys, with a railway station on the line to Daugavpils (Dvinsk, Dünaburg). In World War One, during the battle of Kupiškis, it was taken by 78. Reserve-Division on August 2, 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Subačius was entered by units of the Red Army in early January 1919. Lithuanian…

    • Seirijai 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 26th, 2013

      Seirijai is a town in southern Lithuania, ca.25 km south-west of Alytus. In First World War, during a major encirclement battle for Augustow, Seirijai was first briefly touched by advance units of German 77. Reserve-Division in mid-February 1915, with consolidation to follow later. During the German withdrawal from Russia in late 1918, local population formed a limited but vigorous self-administr…

    • Židikai 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 26th, 2013

      The township Židikai (Zhidiki, Schidiki) lies ca. 20 km west of Mažeikiai. When the German advance into Žemaitija and Courland began on April 27, 1915, Židikai was bypassed except for a reco detachment. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, in January 1919 Židikai was held by Abteilung Doin of the Eiserne Division. In czarist times, Židikai had had a post office…

    • Kupiškis 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 26th, 2013

      In World War One, after the fall of Šiauliai and Panevėžys, Kupiškis (Kupishki, Kupischki) was taken on August 3, 1915 during a major battle (Schlacht bei Kupischki) by 1. Reserve-Division and 78. Reserve-Division advancing respectively on the left and on the right side of the strategic railway line leading to Daugavpils (Dvinsk, Dünaburg). When the German army withdrew from Russia,…

    • Vainutas 1920-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 26th, 2013

      Vainutas is a township in Žemaitija, 35 km north-west of Tauragė and ca. 10 km from the border of what was Memelland. In World War One, Vainutas was rushed through on the very first day of the German advance into Žemaitija and Courland, April 27, 1915, by squadrons of 45. Kavallerie-Brigade. During the German withdrawal from Russia, a vanguard of the Red Army was stopped further to the…

    • Salakas 1920-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 7th, 2012

      Salakas is a town in north-eastern Lithuania, ca. 20 km south of Zarasai. In World War One it was taken by German troops, mainly cavalry, advancing toward the fortress of Daugavpils (Dünaburg) in Latvia and also deploying for an encirclement of Vilnius from the north, which fell on September 18, 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of the war, Bolshevik formations followed…

    • Pakuonis 1921-1923 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 5th, 2012

      Pakuonis is a township ca. 20 km south of Kaunas. In World War One it was passed through by infantry of XXXX. Reserve-Korps a few days after the fall of the Kaunas fortress on August 18, 1915.  During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Pakuonis was spared further postwar clashes, as the Red Army was stopped to the east of the river Nemunas. Pakuonis had no postal branch…

    • Pagiriai (also Pagirys) 1919–1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 23rd, 2012

      Pagiriai (later renamed Pagirys) is a township about half-way between Kėdainiai and Ukmergė. In czarist times and on WWI German military maps it was known as Pogiry. In WWI it was taken by German troops in the autumn of 1915 during their advance on Vilnius which fell on September 18, 1915. When the Germans retreated from the East at the end of 1918, the Red Army advanced close to…

    • Lydavėnai (also Lyduvėnai) 1919–1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 8th, 2012

      In WWI, Lydavėnai (later Lyduvėnai, russ. Lidovjany) was passed through by Bavarian cavalry the following day after the German push into Žemaitija began on April 27, 1915. The cavalrymen were from the reco Abteilung Gonnermann of the Bayerische Kavallerie-Division which was speeding to flank Šiauliai from the south. During the German occupation Lydavėnai acquired some importance…

    • Varniai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|January 31st, 2012

      When the German forces began to move into Žemaitija and Courland on April 27, 1915, the township Varniai (Vorne, Worne) was passed through by cavalry of 12th Res. Brigade (6. Kavallerie-Division) on April 29, followed the next day by Abteilung Pappritz.  After the German withdrawal from Russia, the westward advance of a newly formed Lithuanian regiment of the Red Army was stopped by Detachement…

    • Vandžiogala 1921 – 1923 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 22nd, 2011

      In WWI, Vandžiogala a township 22 km north of Kaunas was taken in late July 1915, when German forces were making preparations to storm the Kaunas fortress, which fell on August 18, 1915. After the German army’s withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Vandžiogala found itself, for a few months, within the area overseen by the German troops of their residual Kommandantur at Kaunas,…

    • Žarėnai 1922-1923 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 4th, 2011

      Postcard mailed by the initiator and builder of the church at Žarėnai, Rev. Juozapas Lomanas. Žarėnai 1922 is a township with a previous manor in central Žemaitija, 20 km south of Telšiai. In WWI, during the German push into Žemaitija and Courland which started on April 27, 1915, Žarėnai (as Zorany) was rushed through by units of 6. Reserve-Divisio…

    • Kalvarija 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 5th, 2011

      Kalvarija is a town in Suvalkija, 18 km south of Marijampolė. In World War One it was taken on February 12, 1915, by 42. Infanterie-Division rushing through to participate in the encircling of substantial Russian forces at Augustavas (Augustow). After the German retreat from Russia at the end of 1918, Kalvarija enjoyed relative peace and promptly set up local self-administration. Kalva…

    • Seinai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|April 22nd, 2011

      Seinai is a town in southern Suvalkija with a large Lithuanian population, which eventually was included in Poland. In World War One, it was taken by 42. Infanterie-Division on February 14, 1915. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Seinai was first guarded by the Grenzschutz, esp. Brigade Grodno, and later was administered by Lithuanians until forced out by Polish troops…

    • Švėkšna 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 27th, 2011

      Švėkšna is a township in western Žemaitija, ca. 40 km south-east of Klaipėda (Memel) and close to the border of what was Memelgebiet. In World War One, when the German forces launched a drive into Žemaitija and Courland, Švėkšna was passed through the very same day, April 27, 1915, by units of 6. Reserve-Division. After the German army withdrew from Russia at the end of…

    • Naumiestis (Šakių, Kudirkos) 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 20th, 2011

      There are two towns in Lithuania with the name “Naumiestis” which are usually differentiated by a further geographic addition. The Naumiestis in Žemaitija, in the district of Tauragė, is postally known as “Naumiestis (Taurag.)” or, more popularly, as “Žemaičių Naumiestis”. The second Naumiestis is in Suvalkija, in the district of Šakiai, and during the czarist…

    • Laižuva 1919-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|December 11th, 2010

      Laižuva is a township ca. 15 km north-east of Mažeikiai, close to the border with Latvia, on the railway line Mažeikiai – Jelgava (Mitava, Mitau). Laižuva’s railway station gained some importance during the German advance into Žemaitija and Kurland in 1915. After a Russian counteroffensive, the area was secured on about July 15, 1915 by 41. Infanterie-Division. During the German…

    • Nemunėlio (Naujas) Radviliškis 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|November 20th, 2010

      Nemunėlio (Naujas) Radviliškis is a township ca. 23 km north of Biržai, on the border with Latvia. In World War One, it was entered by German 8. Kavallerie-Division on August 7, 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, formations of the Red Army appeared in the Biržai district in mid-January 1919 and, while frequently challenged by local anti-Bolshevik…

    • Batakiai 1920-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|November 20th, 2010

      The township Batakiai (Batoki) lies ca. 20 km nort-east of Tauragė. In World War One, as a locality on the strategic Šiauliai - Tilsit highway, Batakiai was taken by Abteilung Pappritz on the very first day, April 27, 1915, of the start of German advance into Žemaitija. During the German occupation the highway was duplicated by a somewhat parallel railway line which also acquired strategic…

    • Skuodas 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|November 10th, 2010

      In World War One, Skuodas (Shkudy, Schkudy), a town in northwestern Lithuania, was passed through on May 5, 1915 by German forces (Abteilung Schulenburg) on their way to storm the naval base of Liepaja (Libava, Libau) which was taken in the early hours of May 7. When the German army withdrew from Russia at the end of 1918, Skuodas found itself in a zone along the Baltic coast, south of…

    • Gruzdžiai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|November 6th, 2010

      In WWI, Gruzdžiai (Gruzdzi, Grusdi, Grusen), a township ca. 20 km north of Šiauliai (Schaulen), was involved in the swift German advance resulting in the taking of Šiauliai on April 30, 1915, then their retreat and their repeated taking of Šiauliai on July 21. Around Gruzdžiai, the troops active on both sides were mostly cavalry, with German 3. Kavallerie-Division to start with.  When…

    • Meškučiai (also Meškuičiai) 1921-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|October 31st, 2010

      Meškučiai (later known as Meškuičiai) is a township and a railway station ca. 18 km. north of Šiauliai. In World War One, during the two battles for Šiauliai involving fast moving cavalry actions Meškučiai changed hands repeatedly and was finally secured by 78. Reserve-Division on July 20, 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Meškučiai…

    • Raseiniai 1919 - Local Issue 15 k on mail 
      by Vytautas Doniela|October 31st, 2010

      For description and analysis of the Raseiniai 15 k Local Issue, including the two printings and use of different postmarks, see article by Audrius Brazdeikis on this website under Local Issues - "Raseiniai 1919 Local Issue Printings". For an article on Raseiniai 1919 see Vytautas Doniela, this website under "Raseiniai 1919". Register of Local Issue used on mail: Sent from Raseiniai: 15…

    • Užpaliai (also Ušpaliai) 1920-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|October 30th, 2010

      Užpaliai is a township in Aukštaitija, 16 km north of Utena. In World War One, it was passed through by Bayersche Kavallerie-Division on September 12, 1915 during the northern flanking of Vilnius. After German withdrawal from Russia, units of the Red Army came to Užpaliai in late December 1918. Lithuanian regulars (“Ukmergės rinktinė”) pushing Bolshevik troops out of Aukštaitija…

    • Raseiniai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|October 29th, 2010

      Raseiniai is a major town north-west of Kaunas. In World War One, when German forces advanced into Žemaitija on April 27, 1915 Raseiniai was taken the same evening by fast moving Bayersche Kavallerie-Division. After a Russian counter-offensive Raseinai was re-taken by 78. Reserve-Division. During the German withdrawal from the East at the end of 1918 Raseiniai was spared further hostilities and…

    • Gardinas (Grodno) 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|October 26th, 2010

      In early 1919 Grodno functioned as a major railway and support facility for German troops returning from Russia. Until February 18, 1919 Grodno was host to the HQs of the disintegrating German Tenth Army and subsequently became an important base for volunteer border guards, the Grenzschutz Ost. From January to late April 1919 Grodno also housed both the continuing Feldpost 737 and the…

    • Lunno (Lith. Lunia) 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|October 24th, 2010

      Lunno (Lith. Lunia) is a town 45 km south-east of Gardinas (Grodno), presently in Belorus. In WWI, it was entered by German infantry on September 6, 1915 engaged in the battle for Vilnius. During the German withdrawal from the East, Lunno area was controlled by the dissolving Tenth Army, followed by units of the Grenzschutz. In czarist times, the town had a post office Lunno. During German…

    • Suvalkai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|October 23rd, 2010

      Suvalkai is a town in ethnographic south Lithuania or north Poland, which at various times has been claimed by Lithuanians, Poles and even Germans. In World War One it was taken by 76. Reserve-Division on ca. February 14, 1915. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Suvalkai was guarded by Grenzschutz troops, esp. Freikorps Diebitsch. Although in 1919 the town and its…

    • Marijampolė 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|October 14th, 2010

      Marijampolė is a major town in central Suvalkija. In World War One, it was taken by Landwehr- Division Königsberg in mid-February 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, when the Red Army was stopped on the far side of the river Nemunas, Marijampolė was not affected by further hostilities and soon formed local self-administration. In the czarist period,…

    • Kybartai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|October 11th, 2010

      Kybartai, Kibarty (in some postal aspects a joined-twin of Virbalis, Verzhbolovo, Wirballen) is a town with an important railway station next to the border of what was East Prussia, ca. 25 km west of Vilkaviškis. In World War One, after repeatedly changing hands it was finally secured by 78. Reserve-Division on February 10-11, 1915. After German withdrawal from Russia, the area was not…

    • Šiauliai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|October 7th, 2010

      Šiauliai is a major town in northern Lithuania. Because of its strategic importance as a communications hub it was an object of two battles in 1915 and hotly contested again in 1919. During the German advance into Žemaitija and Courland Šiauliai was taken by 78. Reserve-Division on April 30, 1915, lost on May 10, then re-taken by 1. Reserve-Korps on July 21. During the German withdrawal…

    • Alytus 1919-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|October 6th, 2010

      Alytus is a major town in southern Lithuania 65 km south of Kaunas. Because of its fortifications and strategic importance Alytus played an important part both in the battles of 1915 and in the postwar confrontation between the withdrawing German forces and the advancing Red Army. In World War One, Alytus was captured after the fall of Kaunas, by XXI Reserve-Korps on August 26, 1915.…

    • Dusetos 1920-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 30th, 2010

      Dusetos is a town in Aukštaitija, 35 km north-east of Utena. In World War One it was passed through by Division Beckmann on September 12, 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Red Army units came to Dusetos area in late December 1918. In the War of Independence, Lithuanian regulars regained Dusetos in early June 1919. In the czarist period, Dusetos had a post…

    • Garliava 1921-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 27th, 2010

      Garliava lies several km south of Kaunas but eventually came to be regarded as part of the metropolitan area. In World War One it was involved in the battle for the fortress of Kaunas, which fell on August 18, 1915. In the czarist period Garliava had its separate post office named Godlevo, and during the German occupation it came within the purview of the Postgebiet Ob.-Ost post office…

    • Rokiškis 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 23rd, 2010

      Rokiškis is a town in north-east Lithuania, on the railway line Šiauliai - Daugavpils. In World War One it was taken by troops of  I. Reserve-Korps on ca. September 13, 1915 while advancing toward Daugavpils. During the German withdrawal from Russia, Rokiškis was entered by Red Army units on December 27, 1918.  During the War of Independence, Lithuanian troops re-took Rokiškis on June 1,…

    • Vilkaviškis 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 22nd, 2010

      Vilkaviškis is a major town in Suvalkija, with an important railway station between Kaunas and what was East Prussia. In World War One, after changing fortunes it was conclusively taken by German infantry on February 10 - 11, 1915. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Vilkaviškis and its environs remained for several months a significant transit area for German border…

    • Kėdainiai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 21st, 2010

      Kėdainiai is a major town on the Šiauliai - (Kaunas) - Vilnius railway line. In World War One it was taken by 3. Kavallerie-Division on July 24-25, 1915. During the German withdrawal from the East at the end of 1918, in early 1919 Kėdainiai was at first held against the Red Army by German Grenzschutz troops, then by Lithuanian regulars who gradually advanced east. In the czarist…

    • Vilnius R/S 1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 19th, 2010

      During the German withdrawal from Russia in December 1918, a Lithuanian post office was opened in Vilnius on December 27, 1918 (or on a different view - December 26 which was the hand-over day of the Postgebiet Ob.-Ost branch Wilna). Vilnius was occupied by the Red Army on January 5 -6, 1919. In turn, the Soviets were pushed out by Polish forces on April 21, 1919. During the subsequent…

    • Šilėnai 1921-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 10th, 2010

      Šilėnai is a township and a railway station between Šiauliai and Radviliškis. In World War One it was a contentious object in the two battles for Šiauliai and was finally secured (as Schilany) by Brigade Homeyer on July 21, 1915.  During the German withdrawal from the East, Šilėnai as a railway station was occupied by the Red Army's International Division a day or two before it…

    • Šeštakavas (later Šeštokai) 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 9th, 2010

      Šeštakavas (later renamed Šeštokai) is a town in Suvalkija ca. 30 km south of Marijampolė. In World War One, after the final clearing of Russian armies from East Prussia, Šeštakavas was passed through by 31. Infantry-Division on February 13, 1915 during the German attempt to encircle a major Russian concentration at Augustavas (Augustow). During the German withdrawal from the East…

    • Vievys (later Vievis) 1921-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 8th, 2010

      Vievys (better known as Vievis) is a township and a railway station half-way on the Kaunas - Vilnius line. In World War One it was taken by infantry of XXXX. Reserve-Korps a few days after the fall of the Kaunas fortress on August 18, 1915. During the German retreat from Russia the area became an object of occasional fire-fights between the German border guards (the Grenzschutz) and the Red…

    • Panevėžys 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 7th, 2010

      Panevėžys, in Aukštaitija, is one of Lithuania's major cities and is linked by rail with Šiauliai and Daugavpils in Latvia. In World War One, it was taken by German 1. Reserve-Korps on July 26, 1915. During the German withdrawal from the East, their last volunteer troops left Panevėžys on January 8 – 9, 1919, followed immediately by the 41th Regiment of the Red Army’s…

    • Šančiai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 6th, 2010

      Šančiai is a southern suburb of Kaunas. During the late czarist period, extensive military installations rendered Šančiai an important component of the fortress of Kaunas. The fortress was conclusively captured by German Tenth Army on August 18, 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Šančiai as part of Kaunas was retained by German rearguard…

    • Suveiniškis (also Suvainiškiai) 1921-1923 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 4th, 2010

      Suveiniškis (by ca. 1930 Suvainiškiai, then Suvainiškis) is a township in north-eastern Lithuania, ca. 45 km north-west of Rokiškis. In World War One it was passed through by 78. Reserve-Division on ca. September 11, 1915 while moving on Daugavpils (Dvinsk, Dünaburg). During the war Suveiniškis was linked by rail with Skapiškis. During the German withdrawal from Russia in late 1918,…

    • Veviržėnai (also Veiviržėnai) 1919-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 3rd, 2010

      Veviržėnai (from 1937 Veiviržėnai) is a township in western Žemaitija, ca. 35 km south-east of Klaipėda, ca. 10 km east of what was the border with Memelland. In World War One it was passed through by infantry units of 12. Reserve-Brigade in the very first afternoon of the German advance into Žemaitija, which started on April 27, 1915. When the German army withdrew from…

    • Dotnava (later Dotnuva) 1920-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|September 2nd, 2010

      Dotnava, after ca.1926 renamed Dotnuva, is a township with an agricultural academy on the strategic Šiauliai - (Kaunas) - Vilnius railway line, ca. 12 km north of Kėdainiai. In World War One, during the second battle of Šiauliai, Dotnava was in the zone covered by 3. Kavallerie-Division and in late July 1915 housed the division's headquarters. During the German withdrawal from the East…

    • Šilalė 1919-1924 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 31st, 2010

      Šilalė is a town in Žemaitija 30 km north of Tauragė. In World War One it was passed through by reco squadrons of 45. Kavallerie-Brigade on the very first night of the German advance into Žemaitija which started in the early hours of April 27, 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Šilalė escaped further hostilities as the Red Army’s vanguards…

    • Širvintai (also Širvintos) 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 27th, 2010

      Širvintai (presently Širvintos) is a town in Aukštaitija ca. 50 km north of Vilnius. In WWI, during the German encirclement of Vilnius (which was captured on September 18, 1915), Širvintai  was passed through in early September by troops of Korps Hutier which was flanking Vilnius from the north. In the immediate post-war period, in 1919 - 1920, Širvintai witnessed a rapid sequence of…

    • Vyžuonos 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 25th, 2010

      Vyžuonos is a township in Aukštaitija, 15 km north of Utena. In World War One, Vyžuonos was passed through by Bayersche Ulanen-Brigade on September 10, 1915 in the process of flanking Vilnius, which fell on September 18. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Red Army units appeared in Vyžuonos area soon after coming to Utena on December 23, 1918. In the War of…

    • Siesikai 1920-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 24th, 2010

      Siesikai is a township in Aukštaitija, ca. 20 km west of Ukmergė. In World War One it was passed through in late August 1915 by squadrons of 4. Kavallerie-Division deploying east to take part in the encirclement of Vilnius, which fell on September 18. During the German withdrawal from the East, Red Army units came to Siesikai area ca. January 12, 1919 after previously moving into…

    • Radviliškis 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 23rd, 2010

      Radviliškis is a town and a rail junction ca. 20 km south-east of Šiauliai. As a location of strategic importance, it was a hotly contested object in both 1915 and 1919. After the German push into Žemaitija and Courland had started on April 27, 1915, Radviliškis was captured by Bayersche Kavallerie-Division on May 1, then given up during a Russian counter-offensive, and finally retaken by…

    • Skaisgirys 1921-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 21st, 2010

      Skaisgirys (also spelled Skaisgiris) is a township in northern Lithuania, 18 km north-west of Joniškis. In World War One, Skaisgirys (like Joniškis) changed hands repeatedly during the two volatile battles for Šiauliai. It was reached as early as April 30, 1915 and held for a few days by fast-moving units of German cavalry, then reclaimed by the Russians, then conclusively passed through by…

    • Južintai 1921-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 20th, 2010

      Južintai is a township in Aukštaitija ca. 27 km south of Rokiškis. In World War One, it was passed through by Bayersche Kavallerie-Division on September 11, 1915 when providing wide-flanking support for the German encirclement of Vilnius, which fell on September 18. During the German withdrawal from the East at the end of 1918, this area came under the Red Army’s control in very late…

    • Joniškis 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 19th, 2010

      Joniškis is a town 40 km north of Šiauliai. Situated as it is on communication links to Riga, it was significant militarily in both 1915 and 1919. In World War One, during cavalry encounters in the two battles for Šiauliai, Joniškis changed hands more than once - it was taken and held for several days on April 30, 1915 by German cavalry, then reclaimed by the Russians, then conclusively…

    • Sudargas 1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 18th, 2010

      Sudargas is a township in top north-western Suvalkija, ca. 35 km north-west of Šakiai and close to the border with what was East Prussia. In World War One, in the final clearing of Russian armies from East Prussia, Sudargas was taken by 31. Infanterie-Division on February 8, 1915. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Sudargas was not affected by further hostilities. I…

    • Čekiškė 1921-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 16th, 2010

      Čekiškė is a township 35 km south-west of Kėdainiai. In World War One, it was passed through by Abteilung Esebeck on ca. July 20, 1915 while advancing to flank the Kaunas fortress. After the German retreat from the East at the end of 1918, Čekiškė escaped further hostilities when a Red Army’s vanguard was halted east of Kėdainiai. Čekiškė had had…

    • Kruopiai 1921-1923 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 15th, 2010

      Kruopiai is a township in northern Žemaitija, ca.45 km north-west of Šiauliai. In World War One, during the two battles for Šiauliai, Kruopiai witnessed volatile cavalry movements. It was rushed through (as Krupe) by squadrons of German 6. Kavallerie-Division on May 3, 1915, later reclaimed by Russian cavalry, then secured by German 6. Reserve-Division on July 6. After the German withdrawal…

    • Raguva 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 11th, 2010

      Raguva is a township in Aukštaitija, ca. 30 km south-east of Panevėžys. In World War One, during the battle of Kupiškis, it was taken by Division Beckmann on August 2, 1915. During the German withdrawal from the East at the end of 1918, troops of the Red Army appeared in Raguva area in early January 1919 and were evicted on May 19 by a task force led by Capt. Spranger of Saxonian Frw.…

    • Kaunas - “Kauno paštas” 1918-1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 10th, 2010

      In 1915 -1918, during German occupation Kaunas was the seat of several military Feldpost offices attached individually at various times to such important commands as Commander-in-Chief East (Oberbefehlshaber Ost), his administrative section, Commander of Tenth Army, also the stationary Feldpoststation 209 and, uniquely, the fortress postal system (Festungspost). Of special relevance to…

    • Stakliškės 1920-1923 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 9th, 2010

      Stakliškės is a township ca. 40 km north-east of Alytus. In World War One, it was taken by infantry of German XXI. Armeekorps in early September 1915 during the battle for Vilnius, which fell on September 18. During the German army's withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, a temporary demarcation line between the Soviets and withdrawing Germans gave Stakliškės to the former.…

    • Daugai 1919-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 5th, 2010

      Daugai lies 20 km east of Alytus. In World War One it was taken by German infantry of XXI. Armeekorps in the battles of early September 1915 during their advance to encircle Vilnius, which fell on September 18. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Daugai was entered by units of the Red Army in early January 1919 but after several clashes was taken by Lithuanian troops…

    • Krekenava 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|August 4th, 2010

      Krekenava lies half-way between Panevėžys and Kėdainiai. In World War One, during the first battle of Šiauliai, Krekenava (as Krakinow) was briefly touched by squadrons of Bayerische Kavallerie-Division on May 6, 1915 and, during the second battle, was secured by the same division on July 24. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Red Army units came to…

    • Balninkai 1921-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 29th, 2010

      Balninkai is a township in Aukštaitija, ca. 30 km east of Ukmergė. In World War One, during the German advance on Vilnius it was passed through by units of 3. Kavallerie-Division on September 9, 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1919, units of the Red Army came to Balninkai area in mid-January 1919 and were pushed out by Lithuanian troops (Ukmergės…

    • Semeliškės (also Semeliškiai, Samiliškės) 1921-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 28th, 2010

      Semeliškės (also Semeliškiai, Samiliškės) is a township ca. 20 km west of Trakai. In World War One, during the German encirclement of Vilnius, Semeliškės was passed through in early September 1915 by infantry of German XXXX. Reserve-Korps. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918 the area was occupied, in early January 1919, by units of the Red Army which…

    • Saločiai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 27th, 2010

      Saločiai (Salaty) is a township 20 km west of Biržai, close to the border with Latvia. In World War One, during the battle of Kupiškis, Saločiai was passed through by units of German 8. Kavallerie-Division on August 4, 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, the Red Army came to Saločiai area in January 1919 but were pushed out by Lithuanian…

    • Kietaviškės 1921-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 26th, 2010

      Kietaviškės, now substantially re-structured, was a township half-way between Kaunas and Vilnius, close to present-day Elektrėnai. In World War One, after the fall of the fortress of Kaunas, Kietaviškės was crossed in late August 1915 by infantry of German XXXX. Reserve-Korps. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918 the area was occupied, in early January…

    • Kaišiadorys (also Kaišedorys) 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 26th, 2010

      Kaišiadorys (1922 – early 1930s renamed Kaišedorys), with its important railway junction, is situated ca. 28 km east of Kaunas. It was a contested object both in 1915 and 1919. It was taken by units of German XXXX. Reserve-Korps on August 21, 1915 soon after the fall of the fortress of Kaunas on August 18. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, in early 1919 Kaišiadory…

    • Jonava 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 24th, 2010

      Jonava, with its important railway station, lies 25 km north-east of Kaunas. In World War One, it was taken by German 1. Kavallerie-Division on August 20, 1915, shortly after the fortress of Kaunas had fallen on August 18. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Jonava was defended by the Grenzschutz’s 13th Volunteer Batallion which in February 1919 took part in…

    • Kovarskas (also Kavarskas) 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 23rd, 2010

      Kovarskas, later renamed Kavarskas, is a town in Aukštaitija, 23 km north-east of Ukmergė. In World War One, during the battle of Kupiškis, Kovarskas was taken by Bayersche Kavallerie-Division on August 4, 1915. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Kovarskas was entered by the Pskov Division of the Red Army on January 7, 1919. Bolshevik formations were pushed out…

    • Simnas 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 22nd, 2010

      Simnas is a town in Suvalkija, 25 km west of Alytus. In World War One, after Russian forces had been completely evicted from East Prussia, Simnas was entered by German 5. Garde-Infanterie-Brigade on February 16, 1915. After the German army withdrew from Russia at the end of 1918, one of the vanguards of the Red Army was halted further east at Alytus in mid-February 1919, and Simnas was spared…

    • Troškūnai (also Traškūnai) 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 19th, 2010

      Troškūnai is a township in Aukštaitija, ca. 40 km south-east of Panevėžys. In World War One, it was taken by German cavalry (3. Kavallerie-Division) during the battle of Kupiškis, on July 2, 1915. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, units of the Red Army came to Troškūnai area in January 1919. During the War of Independence, Lithuanian troops entered…

    • Veiveriai 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 16th, 2010

      Veiveriai is a township ca. 25 km south-west of Kaunas. In World War One, Gerrman forces took it during preparations to storm the fortress of Kaunas, which fell on August 18,1915. After the the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, by mid-February 1919 the Red Army was stopped some distance east of Kaunas and Veiveriai escaped further hostilities. During the czarist period…

    • Lazdijai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 12th, 2010

      Lazdijai is a town in south Lithuania, ca. 40 km south-west of Alytus, close to the border with Poland. In World War One, after German forces cleared East Prussia of Russian incursion, Lazdijai was taken by 31. Infanterie-Division on February 13, 1915. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, when the Red Army was halted at Alytus in mid-February 1919, Lazdijai area enjoyed…

    • Baisogala (also Beisagala) 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 11th, 2010

      Baisogala is a township ca. 45 km south-east of Šiauliai with a railway station (Bejsagola) of some importance during the volatile first battle for Šiauliai in late April - early May 1915. It was finally secured during the second battle by Division Beckmann on July 22. During the German army’s withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, when the International Division of the Red Army moved…

    • Anykščiai 1919-1923 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 10th, 2010

      Anykščiai is a town in Aukštaitija, ca. 60 km south-east of Panevėžys. In World War One, it was taken by German troops during the battle of Kupiškis. First entered by squadrons of Bayerische Kavallerie-Division at 10 am on August 4, 1915, soon after midday Anykščiai (Onikschty) was fully secured by 3. Kavallerie-Division attacking from the north. During the German withdrawal…

    • Skaudvilė 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|July 8th, 2010

      The town Skaudvilė (czarist name: Neskuchnoye) lies on the militarily important highway between Šiauliai and Tilsit (in northern East Prussia). The town is also close to the somewhat parallel railway line which was constructed in 1915. In World War One, when German forces launched a drive into Žemaitija and Courland, Skaudvilė was taken the very next day, April 28, 1915, by Abteilung…

    • Šeduva 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 27th, 2010

      The town Šeduva (Shadovo, Schadow) lies on the railway line Šiauliai - Daugavpils, 35 km west of Šiauliai. During the battles for Šiauliai, the railway station of Šeduva was an object of serious contention and was first raided by Bavarian cavalry (Bayersche Kavallerie-Division) on May 5, 1915, then finally taken by infantry of 1. Reserve-Division on July 22. During the German withdrawal…

    • Žagarė 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 23rd, 2010

      The town Žagarė (Zhagory, Schagory) is situated close to the border with Latvia and is almost equidistant to both Šiauliai and Jelgava (Mitava, Mitau) in Latvia. In World War One, during the battles for Šiauliai, Žagarė was passed through by German units of 6. Kavallerie-Division as early as May 5, 1915 and, after a Russian counter-offensive, was regained securely on July 15. When…

    • Jurbarkas 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 19th, 2010

      The town of Jurbarkas (in Russian: Jurburg, in German: Georgenburg) lies on the north side of the river Nemunas and is recorded to have had, since a few centuries ago, a relay station or some postal facility on the old postal route between Kaunas and Tilsit and so on to East Prussia,  Germany and the rest of Western Europe. In World War One, as a staging site Jurbarkas was occupied by…

    • Kapčiamiestis 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 17th, 2010

      Kapčiamiestis is a town in south Suvalkija, ca. 30 km west of Druskininkai. In World War One, after Russian armies were finally pushed out of East Prussia, Kapčiamiestis was taken by infantry of 77. Reserve-Division on February 18, 1915. After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, the southernmost parts of Lithuania were overseen militarily, in the first half of 1919,…

    • Slavikai 1920-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 16th, 2010

      Slavikai (Sloviki, Slowiki) is a township 20 km west of Šakiai, on the border with what was East Prussia. In World War One, after Russian armies were finally pushed out of East Prussia in early 1915, Slavikai was taken by units of 31. Infanterie-Division at 3 pm on February 9, 1915. After the German army’s withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Slavikai with the rest of the Užnemunis…

    • Žiežmariai 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 15th, 2010

      Žiežmariai (Zhizhmory, Zysmory) is a town ca. 30 km east of Kaunas. In World War One, it was passed through by units of Korps Litzmann in late August 1915 during the German offensive to take Vilnius, which fell on September 18. When the Red Army followed in the footsteps of the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, one of its vanguards was stopped in the vicinity of Žiežmariai…

    • Rozalimas 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 12th, 2010

      Rozalimas (Rozalino, Rozalin) is a small town ca. 40 km north-west of Panevėžys. In World War One, during the second battle for Šiauliai, it was passed through by German infantry of 78. Reserve-Division on July 22, 1915. During  the German army's withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, units of the Red Army appeared in Rozalimas area about mid-January 1919 but were pushed out in…

    • Gelvonai (also Gelvonys) 1921-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 10th, 2010

      Gelvonai (also written Gelvonys) is a small town in Aukštaitija 25 km south of Ukmergė. In World War One, during the German encirclement of Vilnius (which fell on September 18, 1915), Gelvonai was passed through in early September by troops of Korps Hutier which was flanking Vilnius from the north. In the immediate post-war period, in 1919 - 1920, Gelvonai was an object of conflicting…

    • Kražiai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 9th, 2010

      Kražiai is an ancient town in central Žemaitija, ca. 55 km south-east of Telšiai and same distance south-west of Šiauliai. In World War One, when the German advance into Žemaitija and Courland started on April 27, 1915, Kražiai was passed through by Abteilung Pappritz two days later. When the German army withdrew from Russia at the end of 1918, a vanguard of the Red Army was halted some…

    • Giedraičiai 1920-1922 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 8th, 2010

      Giedraičiai (Gedrojcy, Gedroizi) is a town in Aukštaitija 45 km north of Vilnius. In WWI, during the German encirclement and capture of Vilnius (which fell on September 18, 1915), Giedraičiai was passed through in early September by troops of Korps Hutier which was flanking Vilnius from the north. In the immediate post-war period, in 1919 - 1920, Giedraičiai found itself in a…

    • Želva 1921-1923 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 6th, 2010

      Želva is a small town in Aukštaitija 22 km east of Ukmergė. In WWI, during the German encirclement and capture of Vilnius (which fell on September 18, 1915), Želva was passed through in early September by troops of Korps Hutier which was flanking Vilnius from the north. In the immediate post-war period, in 1919 - 1920, Želva witnessed colourful political and military changes. When the…

    • Grinkiškis 1921-1923 
      by Vytautas Doniela|June 2nd, 2010

      Grinkiškis (Grynkishki) is a township in central Lithuania, 10 km south-west of Baisogala and so in the vicinity of the important railway line linking Liepaja and Vilnius. In World War One, at the start of the German push into Žemaitija and Courland, Grinkiškis was visited by reco troops of 3. Kavallerie-Division on May 8, 1915 during the first battle of Šiauliai and secured during the second…

    • Nemakščiai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 31st, 2010

      The township Nemakščiai (Nemokshty, Niemokschty) is situated on the major highway linking Tilsit and Šiauliai. In WWI, when the German forces advanced into Žemaitija and Courland, Nemakščiai was taken on the very first day of the advance, at 7 pm on April 27, 1915 by Dragoner-Regiment 24 (3. Kavallerie-Division). The town’s importance was enhanced when, in order to improve German…

    • Užventis (also Užventys) 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 29th, 2010

      Užventis is a small town in central Žemaitija, ca. 40 km south-west of Šiauliai. In World War One, the area was first inspected by German reco units of 45th Cav. Br. (6. Kavallerie-Division) as early as end of April 1915, during the first battle of Šiauliai. After German army's withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, advance units of the Red Army did not get as far as Užventis, as a…

    • Žeimelis 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 28th, 2010

      Žeimelis (Zhejmeli, Scheimeljany) is a town in north Lithuania, ca. 50 km north-east of Šiauliai, close to the Latvian border. In World War One, after the conclusive fall of Šiauliai on July 21, 1915 Žeimelis was entered by German cavalry in late July. During the German army’s withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, some units of the advancing Red Army came to Žeimelis from Latvia in…

    • Žeimiai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 20th, 2010

      The township Žeimiai lies betwen Kėdainiai and Jonava. In World War One, of some importance was its railway station, 4 km south, which was raided and a segment of the strategic rail line totally destroyed by a deep German cavalry raid (Abteilung von Bonin, Bayersche Kavallerie-Division) on May 7, 1915. After a Russian counteroffensive, Žeimiai was conclusively secured during German…

    • Josvainiai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 18th, 2010

      The township Josvainiai (Jaswojny) lies ca. 10 km south-west of Kėdainiai. In World War One it was taken by German forces during the second battle of Šiauliai on July 24, 1915, by units of 22nd Cav. Brigade (3. Kavallerie-Division). After the German retreat from Russia at the end of 1918, Red Army vanguard was stopped just east of Kėdainiai and so short of the Josvainiai area. Not…

    • Tauragė 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 14th, 2010

      Tauragė (Taurogen, Tauroggen) is situated close to the old border with Memelland and so with East Prussia and Germany. In World War One, Tauragė was conclusively occupied by German forces on March 29, 1915. When the German army withdrew from Russia at the end of 1918, control over Tauragė and the south end of the militarily important Šiauliai – Tauragė - Tilsit…

    • Lūšė (Lūša) 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 12th, 2010

      Lūšė is a railway station ca. 20 km north-west of Mažeikiai, on a major rail route Liepaja – Šiauliai – Vilnius. Provisional postal markings show that a Lithuanian postal facility was at work at the Lūšė railway station in 1920, but as its name does not appear in the basic Pašto Valdyba documents for 1919 and 1920, the exact date of its opening is not known. In…

    • Gudžiūnai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 11th, 2010

      Surviving provisional postal markings demonstrate that in 1919 there was a Lithuanian postal facility at Gudžiūnai, which is a railway station on the Šiauliai - Kaišiadorys route, ca. 15 km south of Baisogala. However, there is no record of its opening in the documents of Pašto Valdyba for 1919 – a gap explained by the circumstance that the postal facility of Gudžiūnai was only a…

    • Mikelmontas (Michelmond) 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 11th, 2010

      Mikelmontas as a very short-lived Lithuanian place-name was known in czarist times as Michelmond. It is a railway station on the Šiauliai - Kaišiadorys (Koschedary) – Vilnius route, ca. 15 km south of Baisogala (Bejsagola). Because of its proximity to the township Gudžiūnai (Gudzjuny), the two place-names were prone to confusion and in ca. the second half of 1919 the railway station…

    • Skapiškis 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 10th, 2010

      In World War One, after the German forces had conclusively secured Šiauliai (Schaulen) on July 21, 1915, Skapiškis (Skopischki) in north-east Lithuania was taken during the battle of Kupiškis (Schlacht bei Kupischki) by 1. Reserve-Division on ca. August 6, 1915. When the German army’s retreat from Russia was followed by the Red Army, Skapiškis was entered by units of so-called Internation…

    • Andriejavas (Endriejavas) 1919–1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 7th, 2010

      In World War One, when the German advance into Žemaitija and Courland started on April 27, 1915, Andriejavas (Andrzejewo) in the western part of Žemaitija was passed through by 12th Res. Brigade ( 6. Reserve-Division) at 7 p.m. the same day. During the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, the Red Army vanguard was stopped by Detachement Schlenther well short of this area. In…

    • Mažeikiai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|May 7th, 2010

      In czarist times Mažeikiai in Lithuania’s north-west was known under its artificial name Muravjovo given to enshrine a harsh governor of Lithuania, Muravyov. Spelled as Murawjewo, the name was retained during the German occupation in World War One.  When the German Armeegruppe Lauenstein started its advance into Žemaitija and Courland on April 27, 1915, Mažeikiai as a rail fork leading from…

    • Pumpėnai 
      by Vytautas Doniela|April 30th, 2010

      In WWI, Pumpėnai (Pompjany) a township in northern Lithuania, ca. 20 km north of Panevėžys, was taken by German forces after their successful second attempt to occupy Šiauliai on July 21, 1915. Pumpėnai was entered by units of 78th Res. Div. (78. Reserve-Division) on about July 25. When the German army was withdrawing from Russia at the end of 1918, Red Army troops came to this…

    • Babtai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|April 30th, 2010

      In WWI, Babtai a township on the river Nevėžis (Nevjazha) was taken in late July 1915, when German forces were making preparations to storm the Kaunas fortress, which fell on August 18, 1915. After the German army's withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Babtai found itself, for a few months, within the area overseen by the Grenzschutz Kommandantur at Kaunas. Babtai had had a…

    • Kaltinėnai 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|April 28th, 2010

      In WWI, after the German drive into Žemaitija and Courland started on April 27, 1915, Kaltinėnai (Koltinjany) was passed through the following day by fast infantry units of Abteilung Pappritz coming via Skaudvilė and on the 29th by cavalrymen of Abteilung Lenski coming via Laukuva. The township was not affected by the subsequent Russian counteroffensive. After the German army’s…

    • Linkuva 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|April 23rd, 2010

      In WWI, Linkuva (Linkovo, Linkowo) was passed through by German cavalry of the Kavallerie-Korps Schmettow, on ca. July 23, 1915 after German troops had taken Šiauliai (Schaulen) on July 21. This was part of a general strategy with a double aim: to strengthen a front line against the Russian fortress of Daugavpils (Dvinsk, Dünaburg ) and to advance further east to flank Vilnius. Linkuva had had…

    • Veliuona 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|April 21st, 2010

      In WWI, the township Veliuona (Veliony, Wileny) on the right bank of the river Nemunas was passed through by fast-moving German cavalry of Abteilung Cnopf (Bayersche Kavallerie-Division) on April 27, 1915 – the very first day of the German drive into Žemaitija and Courland. The area was back in Russian hands during their counter-offensive but was re-taken by German infantry (Abteilung Esebeck)…

    • Balbieriškis 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|April 20th, 2010

      In WWI, after the Germans had taken the Kaunas fortress on August 18,1915 and were planning to take Vilnius by a pincers movement, the river Nemunas (Njemen) had to be crossed at several other points as well. The township Balbieriškis (Balverzhishki, Balwerzischki) on the left bank of the river south of Kaunas was within the area of the attacking German XXI. Armee-Korps. It was taken, and the…

    • Ariogala (also Airiogala) 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|April 5th, 2010

      In WWI, when the German advance into Žemaitija and Courland started on April 27, 1915, Ariogala or Airiogala (Ejragola, Eyragola) as a township on the river Dubysa (Dubissa) within a few days found itself in the battle zone for the militarily important possession of the river crossings. First taken by the German cavalry (Abteilung Cnopf), in mid-May Ariogala was back in Russian hands, then in…

    • Kuršėnai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|April 3rd, 2010

      During the German advance into Žemaitija and Courland which started on April 27, 1915, Kuršėnai (Kurshany, Kurschany) near Šiauliai (Schaulen) was swiftly, on April 29, entered by German cavalry (22. Kavallerie-Brigade, 3. Kavallerie-Division) which had rushed up via Kelmė all the way from Jurbarkas on river Nemunas. Šiauliai was taken on April 30. But Kuršėnai also changed…

    • Seda 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 29th, 2010

      When the German troops moved into Žemaitija and Courland on April 27, 1915, within a few days Seda (Siady) was inspected by reco cavalrymen of 6th Cav. Div. (6. Kavallerie-Division). Later the township became the administrative seat of the district of Siady. However, no post office was established there within the civilian Postgebiet Ob.-Ost system. When the German army retreated from Russia…

    • Kelmė 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 21st, 2010

      The town of Kelmė (Kelmy, Kielmy) lies on the strategic highway linking Tilsit in northern East Prussia and Šiauliai (Schaulen). In WWI, during the German advance into Žemaitija and Courland which started on April 27, 1915, Kelmė after some heavy fighting by cavalry was taken by Abteilung Pappritz on April 29. During the German occupation a post office KIELMY was opened within the…

    • Lygumai 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 18th, 2010

      In WWI, Lygumai (Ligumy, Ligum), a township in north Lithuania in the district of Šiauliai, was first entered by units of Bayersche Kavallerie-Division on May 3, 1915, though units of 3. Kavallerie-Division had bypassed it already on April 31. The German advance into Žemaitija and Courland had started on April 27, 1915. When the Russian counterattack forced the German troops to give up…

    • Papilė 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 16th, 2010

      In WWI, when the German advance into Žemaitija and Courland started on April 27, 1915, Papilė (Popeljany) was entered by units of the 6th cav. div. (6. Kavallerie-Division) at mid-day on April 30. There had been a post office in Papilė in czarist times, but no such services were provided locally during the German occupation.   When the German retreat from Russia at the end of 1918…

    • Pilviškiai 1919-1921 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 13th, 2010

      In WWI Pilviškiai (Pilvishki, Pilwischki), a town in Suvalkija with a railway station on the vital East Prussia - Kaunas - Vilnius rail route, was taken by units of the German 10th Army (10. Armee) during its preparations to take the Kaunas fortress, which fell on August 18, 1915. When the German army retreated from Russia at the end of 1918, Pilviškiai and adjacent areas were not vacated…

    • Naumiestis (Tauragės) 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 11th, 2010

      Two towns in Lithuania bear the same name “Naumiestis”. Naumiestis (Tauragės, or Žemaičių) is situated in Žemaitija in the district of Tauragė and lies close to the border of what used to be Memelland (the northernmost part of East Prussia and so of Germany). In 1915-1918, for Naumiestis (Tauragės) German administration adapted its Slavic name as Nowe Miasto. The…

    • Taujėnai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 2nd, 2010

      In WWI Taujėnai (Tovjany, Towiani), a township in Aukštaitija, was taken by German troops during their flanking movement towards Vilnius after the week-long battle battle of Kupiškis. It was passed through by cavalrymen of 3. Kavallerie-Division on August 20, 1915. In czarist times, a post office in Taujėnai, as Tovjany, had been opened in 1895, but there was none there during the…

    • Virbalis 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|March 1st, 2010

      In WWI, Virbalis (Verzhbolovo, Wirballen), being very close to the Rusian - German border, at the beginning of the hostilities immediately found itself in the middle of battles. At first, the German 8th Army was pushed back deep into East Prussia, but after two Russian military disasters, by February 1915 the Russians were totally evicted from German territory and, in turn, German forces were…

    • Jeznas (also Jieznas) 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 27th, 2010

      In WWI, Jeznas, presently Jieznas, (Jezno, Ezno) was passed through by German troops late in August 1915, when after the fall of the Kaunas fortress on August 18, their 21st Infantry Corps (XXI. Armeekorps) led by Gen. Ltn. von Hutier crossed  the river Nemunas (Njemen) south of Kaunas and pressed east to carry out a flanking movement towards Vilnius from the south.  During the German…

    • Šakiai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 26th, 2010

      Šakiai (Shaki, Schaki) was briefly entered by German troops in 1914 at an early stage of the war with Russia, then in February 1915 by reco troups of Ersatz-Brigade Esebeck, then finally and more permanently during the German preparations to storm the formidable Kaunas fortress which fell on August 18, 1915.  Though Šakiai had had a post office in czarist times as Shaki, it was not…

    • Prienai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 24th, 2010

      In WWI, after the Germans had taken the Kaunas fortress on August 18,1915 and were anxious to take the communications centre Vilnius by outflanking, the river Nemunas (Njemen) had to be negotiated at several other points as well. At Prienai (Preny), the river was crosssed on August 22 by 31. Infanterie-Division, led by Gen.Ltn. von Berrer. While each German division was accompanied by its mobile…

    • Vilkija 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 23rd, 2010

      In WWI, Vilkija (Vilki, Wilki) was taken by German troops during their preparations in the summer of 1915 to storm Kaunas (Kovna, Kovno, Kowno) whose formidable fortress endangered the German advance further east. At Vilkija, a bridge across the river Nemunas (Njemen) was built in late July to facilitate the movement of troops. The fortress of Kaunas was finally taken on August 18, 1915.  Thou…

    • Kretinga 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 22nd, 2010

      In WWI, being on the border and thus in a kind of no man's land, the town of Kretinga (Kretingen, Krottingen) was immediately passed through by German troops when the push into Žemaitija and Courland started on April 27, 1915. By 2.30 a.m. that morning cavalrymen of 6. Kavallerie-Division rushed through Kretinga in the direction of Kartena (Korciany) where they met the first serious Russian…

    • Rietavas 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 21st, 2010

      In WWI, Rietavas (Retovo, Retowo) after a brief fire-fight was passed through by German infantry units of the 12th res. brig. (6. Reserve-Division) at about midday on April 28, 1915 , that is, the day after the Germans embarked on a push into Žemaitija and Courland. Though Rietavas already had had a post office during czarist times, no such facility was opened during the German occupation. No…

    • The Vilnius Area in the Summer of 1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 19th, 2010

      One of the least known episodes in early Lithuanian postal history is the endeavour of the Lithuanian Pašto Valdyba to open, in the summer of 1920, Lithuanian post offices in in some localities in the Vilnius area which since April 1919 had been under Polish rule.  After the end of WWI, as a result of unresolved political and territorial tensions, hostilities flared up between the recently…

    • Utena 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 19th, 2010

      In WWI, Utena (Uciany, Uzjany) was taken on September 11, 1915 by units of Kavallerie-Korps Garnier and Division Beckmann during the German flanking advance on Vilnius. As the front line against the Russian fortress of Daugavpils (Dünaburg, Dvinsk) hardened, to Utena came the HQs of Armeeabteilung von Scholtz, renamed in January 1917 Armeeabteilung D. There was also a sizeable military air…

    • Tytuvėnai (also Tytavėnai) 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 17th, 2010

      In WWI, Tytuvėnai (Tytavėnai, Cytowiany, Citovjany) was passed through by Bavarian cavalry the following day after the German push into Žemaitija began on April 27, 1915. The cavalrymen were from the reco Abteilung Gonnermann of the Bayerische Kavallerie-Division which was speeding to flank Šiauliai from the south. During the German occupation Tytuvėnai acquired some importance…

    • Pasvalys 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 14th, 2010

      In WWI, after repeated and final capture of the important communications hub Šiauliai (Schaulen) on July 21, 1915, the German forces in northern Lithuania (Njemen-Armee) were given a double task: to secure the left flank against Daugavpils (Dunaburg, Dvinsk) and to provide a base for a major flanking offensive against Vilnius. Pasvalys (Poswol, Posvol) was caught up in a zigzagging war of…

    • Luokė 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 13th, 2010

      In WWI, when the German push into Žemaitija and Courland started on April 27, 1915, the township of Luokė (Lukniki) was passed through by reco troops of 12th res. brig. (6. Reserve-Division) on April 29. In czarist times Luokė received a post office (Lukniki) ca. 1900, but no such facility was established during the German occupation, the nearest civilian Ob.-Ost post office being at…

    • Gargždai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 10th, 2010

      In WWI, when the German push into Žemaitija and Courland started soon after midnight into April 27, 1915, Gargždai (Garždai, Gorsdy, Gorzhdy) being right on the border was in no-man's land and was passed through by reco units. A little further south, units of 12th cav. brig. (6.Kavallerie-Division) were on their way to Andrejavas and Rietavas. Though a post office at Gargždai (Gorzhdy) had…

    • Panemunis 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|February 5th, 2010

      Panemunis (Ponemun) in northern Aukštaitija north-west of Rokiškis, is not to be confused with Panemunėlis (Ponemunok) south-west of Rokiškis. During WWI the area was on the outskirts of a battle zone when the German advance towards Daugavpils (Dünaburg, Dvinsk) was for a while stalled by strong Russian resistance and the so-called Kupiškis battle (die Schlacht bei Kupischki) developed…

    • Tryškiai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|January 30th, 2010

      Tryškiai (Trischki, Trishki) is a small town in Žemaitija, in 1923 pop.1400, which acquired a post office in the czarist period, some time after 1900. In WWI, when the German army undertook a swift offensive into Žemaitija and Courland on the morning of April 27, 1915, Tryškiai was vacated by Russian troops at 1 pm on April 29, and was entered a little later by units of German 33rd Cavalry…

    • Tirkšliai 
      by Vytautas Doniela|January 29th, 2010

      Tirkšliai is a township in Žemaitija (Samogitia) which seems to have had no post office before WWI. In WWI it was occupied during the German push into Žemaitija and Courland which started on April 27, 1915. While the township was visited by German reco cavalry troops soon after that date, it was passed through in greater force by units of 6. Kavallerie-Division on May 11, 1915. During the…

    • Salantai 1919-1920 
      by Vytautas Doniela|January 29th, 2010

      The township Salantai (Salanty), in 1940 pop. ca. 2200, in Žemaitija or Samogitia acquired its first post office in czarist times, sometime before WWI. During WWI it was occupied by German troops soon after the swift German push into Žemaitija and Courland (present-day Latvia) starting at 2 a.m. on April 27, 1915. Before nightfall Salantai was passed through by units of 6. Kavallerie-Division.…

    • Viekšniai 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|January 29th, 2010

      The township Viekšniai (Wekschni, Viekshni, Viekshnia) lies on the major railway route Liepaja (Libau, Libava) to Vilnius with a further link to Romni in the Ukraine, which was constructed in czarist times for large-scale transportation of agricultural and industrial products from the Ukraine to a Baltic Sea port.  During the German push into Žemaitija and Courland starting on April 27,…

    • Pakruojis 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|January 23rd, 2010

      In czarist times, the post-and-telegraph office of Pakruojis (Pokroi) was opened some time before 1900. Most, if not all, of its cancellers have been listed by Vytautas Fugalevičius (Witold Fugalewitsch) in his volume on Postal Markings in Lithuania. In WWI, the township Pakruojis (Pokroi) was taken by units of the German 5th Cavalry Brigade (2. Kavallerie-Division) at 4 p.m. in heavy…

    • Plungė 1919 
      by Vytautas Doniela|January 19th, 2010

      In Lithuania’s postal history, Plungė (Plungiany) makes its first appearance as a horse relay facility in the times of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. A post-and-telegraph station was opened in czarist times, in 1876. During the German occupation in WWI Plungė had no post office of its own and received its mail via the neighbouring Postgebiet Ob.-Ost post office at Telšiai (Telsze). …

    • First Postage Stamps of Lithuania 
      by Audrius Brazdeikis|January 12th, 2010

      The first Lithuanian postage stamps were issued in December 1918. The first set of 10 and 15 skatikas stamps of “Lietuvos pašta” within a rectangle. The first edition was limited to 5000 sets (Mi 1-2). A larger second edition of six stamps (Mi 3-8) was printed December 31, 1918. A total of 768 stamps of different designs were issued by the Republic of Lithuania between 1918 and 1940,…