Veiveriai is a township ca. 25 km south-west of Kaunas. In World War One, Gerrman forces took it during preparations to storm the fortress of Kaunas, which fell on August 18,1915.
After the the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, by mid-February 1919 the Red Army was stopped some distance east of Kaunas and Veiveriai escaped further hostilities.
During the czarist period Veiveriai had had a post office (Vejvery) but none during the German occupation. A mandate, as įgaliotinis, to set up a Lithuanian post office was issued to Aleksandras Frelichas, effective from June 16, 1919. As postmaster, he stayed on at least in 1920.
For stamps, Veiveriai received values of Fourth Berlin Issue, followed by the Sėjėjas Issue etc. Having no regular postmarker, cancelling at first was done by pen, indicating place and date.
Late in 1919 or early 1920, Veiveriai was supplied with a rectangular cachet which was also used for cancelling.
A standard calendar-type postmarker was supplied in 1921, possibly earlier.
Known provisional markings:
Cancelling by MS place and date:
6 – X – 19, single, Berlin IV 30 [colln. Wilson]
13 – XI – 19 cover to USA, Berlin IV 20, 40 [formerly Matuzas]
Cancelling by rectangular cachet:
No date single, Berlin IV 40 [colln. Doniela]