In WWI, Vandžiogala [Wandsagola, different old spellings] a township 22 km north of Kaunas was taken in late July 1915, when German forces were making preparations to storm the Kaunas fortress, which fell on August 18, 1915. After the German army’s withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Vandžiogala found itself, for a few months, within the area overseen by the German troops of their residual Kommandantur at Kaunas, but by February 1919 Lithuanian regulars were also active.
In czarist times Vandžiogala had no local postal facility. A Lithuanian post office, probably an agentūra, was opened in early 1921(?), though so far neither the circumstances nor its postal personnel are known with certainty. As for stamps, the facility had some values of the Fourth Berlin Issue and most likely the Sėjėjas Issue.
For cancelling, at first Vandžiogala may have used manuscript notation but in 1921 (?) it was supplied with a double-frame registration cachet which was put to use as a canceller as well.
A regular calendar-type postmarker was provided later, in 1922 or 1923.
Known provisional markings:
Cancelling by registration cachet:
No date single, Berlin IV 3a [colln. V. Juška]