Remygala (in the late 1920s renamed Ramygala) lies half-way between Panevėžys and Kėdainiai. In World War One, after the second battle of Šiauliai / Schaulen, Remygala (on German maps as Remigola) was secured by units of Division Beckman on August 1, 1915.
After the German withdrawal from Russia at the end of 1918, Red Army units came to Remygala area in the first half of January 1919 and soon clashed with Lithuanian troops. Lithuanian scouts entered Remygala in first half of February, had to retreat but reinforcements finally prevailed on March 26, 1919. By April – May 1919 Remygala was one of the transit points for Lithuanian regulars evicting Bolshevik formations out of Aukštaitija.
In the czarist period Remygala had a post office (Remigola), opened ca. 1908, but none during the German occupation. It is not clear when a Lithuanian postal facility first became available (in 1919 ?) but on October 1, 1920, came as postmaster Mykas Švagžlys who had been transferred here after having been assigned to Naujieji Švenčionys (Švenčionėliai) when for several months that part of the Vilnius District was retaken by Lithuanians from the Poles in the autumn of 1920.
Remygala postal facility was supplied with Fourth Berlin Issue followed by the Sėjėjas Issue etc. but is not likely to have had either any Vilnius or Kaunas Issues.
In the absence of a regular postmarker, cancelling at first was done in manuscript as “Remygala” and date. Thus far, no other provisional markings have been noted.
A regular calendar-type postmarker and a registration cachet were provided in 1921, both spelling “Remygala”. Some 5 – 6 years later the administrative spelling was altered to Ramygala, with corresponding changes in postal markings.
Cancelling by MS:
— II 1920 single, Berlin IV 50 [colln. Jankauskas]