Two towns in Lithuania bear the same name “Naumiestis”. Naumiestis (Tauragės, or Žemaičių) is situated in Žemaitija in the district of Tauragė and lies close to the border of what used to be Memelland (the northernmost part of East Prussia and so of Germany). In 1915-1918, for Naumiestis (Tauragės) German administration adapted its Slavic name as Nowe Miasto.
The other Naumiestis is situated in Suvalkija in the district of Šakiai. During czarist times its name was Vladislavov, then germanised as Wladislawow. After 1919 it was differentiated as Naumiestis (Šakių) and in 1934 was officially renamed Kudirkos Naumiestis.
In WWI, when the German push into Žemaitija and Courland began on April 27, 1915 Naumiestis (Taur.) was in no-man’ s land. It was passed through the same morrning by units of the 45th cav. brig. reinforced by Abteilung Lenski consisting of a reservist Landsturm batallion. These troops were part of 6. Kavallerie-Division commanded by Gen. Ltn. Egon Schmettow).
After the retreat of the German army from Russia at the end of 1918 this western part of Žemaitija was not touched by the advance of the Red Army and formed a number of bodies of local self-administration.
A mandate as įgaliotinis to open a Lithuanian post office at Naumiestis (Tauragės) was given, as from June 10, 1919, to Konstantinas Jefimavičius, until then įgaliotinis at Raseiniai. Not being affected by hostilities, Naumiestis (Taur.) and its wider area were able to develop fairly normal postal activities.
The first stamps available at Naumiestis (Taur.) were values from Fourth Berlin Issue, followed by the Sėjėjas issue etc. At first, cancelling of stamps was done by overwriting day and month, but soon a two-line cachet was employed indicating place and district. This cachet is conspicuous for incorrect spellings, for instead of “Naumiesčio” it reads “Naumiečio” and “Taurag.” is spelled as “Taurog.” The full text reads “Naumiečio paštas / Taurog. Apskr.”
Moreover, in 1919 mail is also known with stamps cancelled by the seal of “Naumiesčio Muitinė” = Customs House at Naumiestis.
A standard calendar-type postmarker was supplied in 1920.
Before Naumiestis obtained a regular registration cachet it made use of cut-off labels with printed “R” and “No.”, and sometimes the name of the post office in MS.
Known provisional markings:
MS cancelling showing day and month:
13 / VII  letter to Šilalė prov. reg. No. 63, Berlin IV 30 x2 [colln. Bubnys]
Cancelling by a two-line cachet:
1 / X  insured letter to Šilalė prov. reg. No. 340, Berlin IV 10, 20 x7 [colln. Bubnys]
no date, singles, Berlin IV [several collns]
Cancelling by seal of “Naumiesčio muitinė”:
No date  letter to Switzerland prov. reg. No. 71, Berlin IV 10, 20 x2, 50, rec. St.Gallen 30. 7. 19 [colln. Bubnys]