In WWI, Linkuva (Linkovo, Linkowo) was passed through by German cavalry of the Kavallerie-Korps Schmettow, on ca. July 23, 1915 after German troops had taken Šiauliai (Schaulen) on July 21. This was part of a general strategy with a double aim: to strengthen a front line against the Russian fortress of Daugavpils (Dvinsk, Dünaburg ) and to advance further east to flank Vilnius. Linkuva had had a post office in czarist times (Linkovo) but no such facility was opened within the civilian Postgebiet Ob.-Ost structure.
On German army’s retreat from Russia at the end of 1918, Linkuva was entered by units of the Red Army in January 1919. After they were pushed out in mid- March 1919 by German Grenzschutz volunteers and took up positions further east, the area was being guarded by Lithuanian para-military formations of the Joniškėlio partizanai, though clashes with Bolshevik forces continued. The situation settled down after Lithuanian army units finally took Panevėžys from the Red Army on May 23.
The first Lithuanian postmaster at Linkuva, Danielius Vasilevičius, was appointed by Pašto Valdyba as from May 26, 1919 and he was there in 1920 as well.
The first stamps available at Linkuva were values from Fourth Berlin Issue. As the P.O.had no formal postmarker, stamps were cancelled by thin, spidery handwriting showing place and date, usually without the year.
At least some cancellations spelled the P.O. as “ Lynkuva”. In late 1919 or early 1920 Linkuva was supplied with a box-type cachet, without “R”, for parcel cards and money orders, which was also used for cancelling.
At about the same time Linkuva was provided with a box-type cachet with “R”, indicating registration of article. This cachet was also used for cancelling.
A standard circular calendar-type postmarker was supplied in 1920 or early 1921.
Known provisional cancelling:
12 / XII  single, Berlin IV 30 [colln. Doniela]
15 / XII  letter to USA, Berlin IV 10, 40 [colln. Lapas]
Cancelling by a box-type cachet without “R”:
no date, a pair & single, Berlin IV 30 [colln. Liesis]
Cancelling by a box-type cachet with “R”:
March 1920, reg. letter No. 384 to USA, Berlin IV 15 x8 [colln. Brazdeikis]