BBOOTS

general stamp collecting discussions
 #566  by vitg

Would like to see a higher resolution scan, but so far looks like a fairly crude forgery. Sorry to disappoint.
 #568  by vitg

Dear qatarstamps,
Leo Finik, the dealer behind Loral stamps, is very knowledgeable when it comes to Russian stamps. Not so much when it comes to Lithuanian material.
I have personally warned him previously that his set is a forgery, but he believes he can still sell it. It is unfortunate that he continues to offer it as an "expertized" authentic set.
Your other scan looks good to me.
Regards,
Vitaly Geyfman
 #588  by qatarstamps

It's a shame that Leo Finik knows the set is fake and is trying to sell it as an original. He probably will sell it at one time, because the guaranteed stamp in the back will give confidence to some collector.

I think there was a comment left by a member named Martin that the certificate should be with some wording in english(?) But whether it be english, german, etc, it needs to basically say 'real' or 'fake' in a very simple form. And then it should have the opinion if the printing is too small, or it's a different color ink, etc. The certificate needs to be less complicated.

Because if you look at Scott's catalog it shows #259 op at $400, it shows the c80 op at $300, it mentions the DG but it doesn't give a price on it. These issues are not only for Lithuania collectors, they sell too for airmail collectors and not many people have access to the Lithuania handbook, so it's a shame when you have established dealers knowingly selling these fakes.

I still think that maybe the LPS and APS should try to get together and maybe issue a special certificate or something to get a census of how many sets are out there and an easier way to get the set with a certificate. It would be troubling to spend so much money and possibly not being able to get it back, it would be bad for the Lithuania hobby in general.
 #594  by Audrius

qatarstamps wrote:
I still think that maybe the LPS and APS should try to get together and maybe issue a special certificate or something to get a census of how many sets are out there and an easier way to get the set with a certificate. It would be troubling to spend so much money and possibly not being able to get it back, it would be bad for the Lithuania hobby in general.
I totally agree with you that LPS and or APS should do something about this issue.