Page 1 of 1

2011 - Churches of Lithuania

PostPosted:Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:53 pm
by Audrius
Name: Set “THE CHURCHES OF LITHUANIA”
Issue date: 2011 09 03
2011-Churches-of-Lithuania.jpg


Description:
Šiauliai Cathedral of St. Apostles Peter and Paul

Šiauliai Cathedral of St. Apostles Peter and Paul is the most prominent Renaissance work of Lithuanian architecture. Construction of the church began in 1595 and was completed in 1625.
The church was given the title of Cathedral on 28 May, 1997, when Pope John Paul II established the Diocese of Šiauliai.
With original architectural elements and a spectacular 70 meter high tower the Šiauliai Cathedral is a magnificent building of more than 400 years old. The bay windows of the main faēade of the cathedral and the churchyard gate towers with embrasures give an impression of the fortress.

Trakai Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The privilege of setting up the Trakai parish church, which was later given the name of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary as well as St. John the Evangelist, was granted on 25 May, 1409, by Lithuanian Grand Duke Vytautas.
During the seventeenth century wars the church as well as the Trakai town itself was devastated. In 1718 the church has been reconstructed, interior and faēades of the church were given Baroque features.
The Trakai Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary is famous for its picture of the Trakai Mother of God which is thought to be painted in 1123 in Constantinople and given as a gift to the Grand Duke Vytautas by Byzantine Emperor Emmanuel II Palaeologus in 1390.


Artist E. Mikalauskis. Offset. Art paper.
Stamp 34,5x30 mm.

591. 1,55 Lt – The Cathedral of Šiauliai.
592. 1,55 Lt – The Church of Trakai.

Edition: 0,10 million each stamp. In print in „Österreichische Staatsdruckerei GmbH“ printing-house in Austria (Vienna).

Price LTL: 3.10