BBOOTS

ask questions about 1941 occupation stamp forgeries
 #235  by springtwin

Hello, Can anyone help to ID some stamps I bought a few years ago in Lithuania, there are no expertise marks and the sellers have a good reputation. I do not know If overprint is true or if the postmarks are cto. Any help would be appreciated as I would not like to sell on if they are forgeries, thank you, Springtwin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #236  by vitg

Hi Tom,

Although it is always very difficult to judge overprints just looking at the relatively low resolution photographs, I am quite convinced that these are forgeries. Very well made ones, but fakes never the less.

The simplest giveaway is Soviet cancellation (easily recognizable on 5kop, 10kop stamps and may be some others). The only occupation stamp known to have Soviet Union CTO cancels was Raseiniai. Even on Raseiniai issues a different cancel was used. The best stamp in the set is 2kop issue with Alsedziai cancel, but even this cancellation is forged. The fake cancellation on this stamp is of quite high quality.

Same holds for the overprints. Excellent quality forgeries. I don't have these in my collection of forgeries, thus would love to see higher resolution scans (if you can provide) ;)

In one of the other posts in this topic I have provided a scan of the true genuine overprint. Take a look.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, Tom, please don't hesitate to ask.
 #237  by springtwin

Hi,Vitg, thanks for your quick reply, I am a little dissapointed but they were not expensive and were worth the gamble. I have a few more sets from this dealer plus enlargements , the may be fakes as well. thanks Tom.
CIMG3329.JPG
CIMG3326.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #238  by springtwin

Hi, Vitg. hereare some more photo,s.
CIMG3386.JPG
CIMG3369.JPG
CIMG3373.JPG
CIMG3368.JPG
CIMG3386.JPG
CIMG3378.JPG
Thanks , Tom.
 #239  by vitg

Tom,
Once again I am sorry to disappoint you but your Telsiai issue is all fakes as well.
Just like in the Alsedziai issue - USSR cancels is a quick giveaway.
But the overprints are indeed forged when examined closely.
Interestingly, the forger made a fake of an error overprint (see date 1941. IV. 26 on some stamps). Also 1 rub stamp overprint is crude and applied inverted.
Very nice set of forgeries. Good to have in a collection of fakes.

Here is a block with good overprints. Note the right upper stamp with the date error.
Best regards,
Vitaly
 #240  by springtwin

Thanks again Vitaly for your prompt reply, Were these stamps made WW2 or are they later, I have more o/prints and would like to post later if thats o.k. Hope these fakes can help others, Thank you, Tom.
 #241  by vitg

Tom,
There is little to no doubt that these forgeries were made at a much later time using much less expensive common Soviet cancelled stamps. If you examine these overprints under a microscope, you will most likely notice that the ink of the overprint goes over the earlier applied ink of the cancellation. ;)
Vitaly