BBOOTS

various postal history related discussions
 #509  by rolandaspaksas

Sveiki gyvi! Are there any participants of our forum who'd like to discuss mail services in Lithuania from 1945 until the death of Stalin in 1953? Mail sent to the United states from this period is especially interesting. Yes - I know - quite obviously an off-beat topic. Or perhaps I am that single AVIS RARUM (translation - rare bird) in an otherwise orderly and civizilised society?
 #511  by Audrius

Mail to other destinations e.g. South America is even more scarce. One such example - a postcard mailed in 1951 from Klaipeda to Jipijapa Ecuador is shown
LT-1951-Klaipeda-Jipijapa-Ecuador-sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #514  by pantadeusz

Audriau, aren't you getting abit too familiar? You should address me as "Mr.President." :o But getting back to my suggestion, I would like to point out that there exist examples of Soviet Lithuanian mail sent elsewhere - including South Africa (I have such an airmail cover sent in 1946 from Šiauliai to Johannesburg). Your card to Ecuador is interesting for two reasons: first, postal stationary sent registered was not that common in Lithuania (even during the independence period of 1918 - 1940). Second, lets see what the reverse of your card reveals! Now, now, lets not be shy. ;) After all, we're not playing philatelic hide and go seek. I'm 99% sure your card will reveal philatelic correspondance. Zenkevičius during WWII lived in Telšiai, and along with Mikulskis and Grigaliunas was buying up the 1941 Telšiai overprints in full sheets as they appeared in the post office. As for old Zenki (if memory serves me correctly he was a physician) I have a cover sent from the United States addressed to Zenkevičius in Klaipėda (if I remember correctly) in the late 1960s with an international T postage due marking in centimes. Aha - lets open up another can of worms. Philatelic correspondance with Lithuania including censorship and confiscation markings during the 50s and 60s. Now thats real FUN! (and if you wonder why I'm not showing anything - the reason is simple - I don't keep my collection at home.) Maybe someday I'll show some gems, but I want others to wet my whistle. At least you're trying Dr.B.!!!
 #515  by pantadeusz

As you can see, I'm not only a former head of state, but a noted literary figure as immortalised by the foremost Polish(?) poet Adam Mickiewicz (or should we say LIthuanian Adomas Mickevičius?). :)
 #516  by Audrius

pantadeusz wrote:As you can see, I'm not only a former head of state, but a noted literary figure as immortalised by the foremost Polish(?) poet Adam Mickiewicz (or should we say LIthuanian Adomas Mickevičius?). :)
Symptoms: dual personality, multiple personality, personality disorder? :lol:
 #517  by Audrius

pantadeusz wrote: I'm 99% sure your card will reveal philatelic correspondance. Zenkevičius during WWII lived in Telšiai, and along with Mikulskis and Grigaliunas was buying up the 1941 Telšiai overprints in full sheets as they appeared in the post office. As for old Zenki (if memory serves me correctly he was a physician) I have a cover sent from the United States addressed to Zenkevičius in Klaipėda (if I remember correctly) in the late 1960s with an international T postage due marking in centimes. Aha - lets open up another can of worms. Philatelic correspondance with Lithuania including censorship and confiscation markings during the 50s and 60s. Now thats real FUN! (and if you wonder why I'm not showing anything - the reason is simple - I don't keep my collection at home.) Maybe someday I'll show some gems, but I want others to wet my whistle. At least you're trying Dr.B.!!!
You are absolutely correct! A philatelic correspondence, indeed. Wow, now I am really impressed :shock:
You should consider exhibiting the material or writing an article to reach a wider audience.
 #522  by pantadeusz

[img] Well, well, and Audriau you thought a destination to Ecuador was exciting? How about this piece of candy (no I am not going to show the reverse of this which sports a bi-lingual Vilkyčiai cancel, a trusty MOCKBA transit cancellation (after all, Big Brother is always guarding his stray little lamb :shock: ) as well as a Geneve receiving mark. Of course, the front is obvious, Vilkyčiai cancelled stamps and a Klaipėda transit cancel. A well travelled cover I must admit!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.