BBOOTS

various postal history related discussions
 #275  by Prahanoaki

Hi , I'm Prahanoaki and I'm new to this forum.

I collect any philatelic material that has been used within the present Lithuanian soil. I do have my own blog: http://lithuanianphilately.com/forums.p ... ogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First of all, I would like to thank lithuanianphilately.com for adding a link to my blog and particularly Dr.Brazdeikis who i have been contacting.

I have been looking for a complete list of Latvian post offices that were transfered to Lithuanian postal authority after march 21st 1921 as part of the deal of the territorial exchange between the 2 countries. So far i know that the town of Sventāja (present Šventoji), Palanga and Būtinciems (present Būtingė) each had a Latvian post office. Were there any other post office? It would be graceful if someone can help me with this. There were also 3 pieces of territory that went from Lithuanian hands to the Latvians: the town of Aknysta (presence of pre-1921 LT post office confirmed. Now Aknīste, Latvia), the village of Ukrai (now Ukri) and Ērgļi (lithuanian name unknown), but details of the post offices are practicly unknown.
 #277  by Audrius

Posted on behalf of Dr. Vytautas Doniela:

The following information may assist Prahanoaki's question about the post offices involved in the territorial exchange between Lithuania and Latvia which was formally concluded on 20th March 1921. Regretfully, some unclarities remain unresolved.

From Latvia to Lithuania:

PALANGA. According to Jakimovs, a Latvian post office was in existence from 19th June 1919 to 28th September 1920. It is not clear why it should have been closed well before the hand-over. According to an unconfirmed report, a Lithuanian post office was opened on 31st March 1921.

SVENTAJA. There is no mention of an early Latvian post office by Jakimovs. A Lithuanian post office as ŠVENTOSIOS UOSTAS was opened as late as 1938.

BUTINCIEMS. A Latvian post office is not listed by Jakimovs. A Lithuanian post office BUTINGĖ was opened in 1930.

From Lithuania to Latvia:

AKNYSTA. An early Lithuanian post office is not known to me. Prahanoaki's statement that the presence of a pre-1921 Lithuanian post office is confirmed is most welcome, and some reference or scan would be gladly appreciated. According to Jakimovs, a Latvian post office (first as OKNISTE) was opened on 19th May 1921.

UKRI. No record of an early Lithuanian postal facility. Jakimovs gives the opening of a Latvian post office as 10th November 1926.

ERGLI. No record of an early Lithuanian postal facility. Jakimovs dates the start of a Latvian post office EHRGLI as early as 29th January 1919, which suggests that prior to the territorial exchange the locality may not have been under Lithuanian administration.
Palanga-Border-Guards-1-Doniela-001-sm.jpg
Palanga Latvian stamp.jpg
Palanga-Kestutis-sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #278  by Prahanoaki

Thank you very much for such useful informations!

My source of information comes from a polish filatelic magasin called "Ikaros". I was lucky to get hold of 4 copies in Gdynia, issued between 1936 and 1937. Unfortunately i have those in my flat in Prague now so i can't tell which number was it but there was an article about the territorial exchange. Polish is not my native language so it is possible i can be mistaken in some details. I looked on the polish online library and i was able find only the 1938-1939 issues:
http://lithuanianphilately.com/forums.p ... &eid=11106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are many interesting articles, for example here is number 77 with an article about Litwa Srodkowa:
http://lithuanianphilately.com/forums.p ... .+77-4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About AKNYSTA, i should not have said "LT post office" but simply "a post office". The postmark i saw on Ikaros was "Окнист" (i think) but definitely cyrillic. I'm sorry for this. I would have to wait couple of months to check until i will go back to Prague.

Very few but some of the early Latvian postmarks used german names intead of latvian. Is it possible that they have used other names? For example instead of Sventāja, Heiligen Aa or instead of Būtinciems, Butendiekshof?

Again, thank you for taking the time for answering. The Latvian stamp with the Palanga postmark is just wonderful. It's much clearer than the one i have. I can't even read the date on mine.
 #1155  by vitg

Audrius wrote: SVENTAJA. There is no mention of an early Latvian post office by Jakimovs. A Lithuanian post office as ŠVENTOSIOS UOSTAS was opened as late as 1938.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.