BBOOTS

general stamp collecting discussions
 #1014  by Audrius

If the Dealer has pencilled their price on a cover, Trevor Pateman suggests that you ask for 10% discount. The place for a cover is inside a plastic holder and the place for the price is on the holder. The place for an Expert Opinion is on a Photo Certificate. There is really no room for debate about this.

I completely agree with him - leave no markings on stamps and covers!

http://lithuanianphilately.com/forums.p ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1015  by vitg

Here is an interesting caveat on the subject of "markings on stamps" which I learned a while ago from an old collector: If you are examining a very rare and a very old stamp and it is in MNH condition and has no dealer/expert markings on the back - chances are you are holding a forgery :ugeek:
How true is that?!?
 #1016  by Audrius

vitg wrote:Here is an interesting caveat on the subject of "markings on stamps" which I learned a while ago from an old collector: If you are examining a very rare and a very old stamp and it is in MNH condition and has no dealer/expert markings on the back - chances are you are holding a forgery :ugeek:
How true is that?!?
Never purchase rare stamps without expert (photo) certificate, I tell to every beginning collector. Experienced collectors know that rule very well from their earlier mistakes.
 #1089  by simonk

I just had a Polish stamp sent for expertization. It is a very rare issue with partial overprint. It bears an experts mark on the back which is genuine (as confirmed by the new expert), however the stamp was re-gummed and now of course has to be marked so by the new expert. It's market value is now considerably less than what I paid, though it is somewhat saved by it's own scarcity and thus inherent value to a collector.

I was also told that re-gummed/repaired stamps that have been marked as such and bear experts marks are then soaked to have the gum removed and thus the G markings and then sold as (*). This affecting of the stamp is classed as forged I believe?

Expert marks on the back do not mean you are buying what you think. I agree that photo certificates are a must for valuable stamps; the cost of such services is prohibitive on all but expensive stamps.

One warning about pencil marks on covers...... SOMETIMES they are supposed to be there! Don't go willy nilly erasing pencil marks as they can represent postal actions