BBOOTS

general stamp collecting discussions
 #990  by Audrius

I'll start off this new topic - Buyer beware.

Buyer beware - Catawiki

I was browsing Catawiki and came across a nice Memel stamp cancelled with parcel post marks also cancelled "RUSS Memelgebiet".
Catawiki-Memel-Russ-jpg.jpg
I placed my order, and soon received confirmation invoice, which was paid by paypal.
Catawiki-Memel-stamps.jpg
A week later I received this stamp.
Catawiki-Memel-stamp-received.jpg
Mistakes do happen, and I am willing to work with sellers. I wrote to the seller and explained my problem. His answer surprised me. The response was that i received exactly what I ordered and he referred to a cryptic Catawiki rules that allow such practices. What?

Apparently, stamp sellers on Catawiki use any available uploaded images to list and sell their own stamps.

Why would anyone even bother with offering stamps for sale online without using original scans? Personally, I have never experienced anything like this before. Shame on you Catawiki for supporting such deceptive practices!

Stay away from Catawiki.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #1003  by albump

As far as I know, I have never been intentionally ripped off, either by post or on-line; however I have no doubt my collections have a few fakes.

Now that I've said that, I'll probably get ripped off, soon.