BBOOTS

general stamp collecting discussions
 #663  by nbstamps

Postage stamps of Lithuania (New York & Toronto philatelic societies) catalogue states that stamp 191 (50 c on 10 auk) has vertical watermark (original stamp 128 has horizontal wmk). Stamp 190 (50 c on 5 auk) has horizontal wmk (original 112 has vertcal wmk). Is it right or is it a typing error? I received a set of overprinted stamps with photo certificate of Dr. Klein and the watermarks are as on non-overprinted stamps. If it is not a typing error then I would doubt the certificate. Thank you.
 #664  by Audrius

nbstamps wrote:Postage stamps of Lithuania (New York & Toronto philatelic societies) catalogue states that stamp 191 (50 c on 10 auk) has vertical watermark (original stamp 128 has horizontal wmk). Stamp 190 (50 c on 5 auk) has horizontal wmk (original 112 has vertcal wmk). Is it right or is it a typing error? I received a set of overprinted stamps with photo certificate of Dr. Klein and the watermarks are as on non-overprinted stamps. If it is not a typing error then I would doubt the certificate. Thank you.
Welcome to LT stamp collecting forums, nbstamps.

You are absolutely correct, there are typos in the original handbook "Postage Stamps of Lithuania". The typos are also present in Lithuanian translation of this handbook.

Airmail overprint (1922) 50 Cent on 5 Auks (Mi 184 Sc C29) has a vertical watermark.
Airmail overprint (1922) 50 Cent on 10 Auks (Mi 185 Sc C30) has a horizontal watermark.
 #668  by nbstamps

Thank you very much Audrius for this information. Is there a list of what other errors are in this book? I am interested in positions of watermarks especially on Berlin issues. Where can I find more information of what positions of watermarks are known and on what perforations?
 #669  by Audrius

Some corrections were published in 1985 supplement of the handbook "Postage Stamps of Lithuania" but many were not.

The most recent study in German is "Litauen" Part I (1918-1922, Skatikas currency) and Part II (1922-1941, Litas currency) by Martin Bechstedt. Part I is out-of-print but the second edition will be available soon.

Part II - is 400 pages, hardcover, 49.50 Euros, few scans are attached. Martin can be reached at: http://lithuanianphilately.com/forums.p ... tauen.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LITAUEN-II-01-Martin-Bechstedt.jpg
LITAUEN-II-02-Martin-Bechstedt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #672  by Audrius

nbstamps wrote:Thank you very much again Audrius. I will try to get both books though I can't read German... It looks like an excellent work was done.
I don't read German either and often need to look up some terms but definitely find the handbook very useful.